Spinach and Cheese Puff Pastry
To download the step by step recipe card please click here
1 Medium Red Onion, Sliced
200g Spinach Leaves
Ready to Roll Puff Pastry Sheet
3 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
200g of Salad Cheese/Feta
2 Red Chillies, Sliced
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt to Taste
Egg Wash (whisked egg and 1 tbsp milk)
1. In a non stick frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and fry the garlic followed by the chillies.
2. Once the garlic has browned a little, add the red onions and wait for it to soften – you can add a touch of salt to help soften the onions but not too much as the cheese is quite salty.
3. Whilst waiting for the onions to soften; in a large bowl add the spinach, pour in boiled water and wait for it to wilt. Once the spinach has wilted, run it under cold water, squeeze the excess water out and leave aside.
4. Add the wilted spinach to the softened onions, mix and wait for it to completely heat through. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly before crumbling in the cheese.
5. Open up the rolled puff pastry sheet and cut into 12 equal squares – each square may need to be rolled out a little more in order to make the perfect square.
6. Place the spinach and cheese mix on top, run a little water over the edges and fold over. Using a fork, push into the edges to seal them completely. Brush the pastries with egg wash and place in the oven on a baking tray for 20 mins on gas mark 6.
Serve with your chosen hot sauce.
**This mix can be used in tortilla wraps or samosa filling (if using for samosa filling, add 1 tsp panch photon before the garlic and chilli)